Monday, February 28, 2011

Meaningless Blather: Oscar Watching

Did you watch the Oscars last night?  I've got to admit, I do watch them each year, but they seem to get more and more uninteresting.  I'm not really sure why I still sit through it.  Force of habit?  I don't know.  At this point the thing that interests me the most are the red carpet fashions, though I'd like to see more of the interesting dresses regardless of who was wearing them instead of just dresses on famous (or spouses of famous) people.  One of my favorite dresses last night was worn by the woman who co-won for best documentary, but since she's not a celeb, finding a good picture of it was almost impossible.

It was interesting, and seemed befitting and somewhat intellectual-- perfect for a documentary film maker.  I think her 2008 dress might have been even better.  And I like her black (or almost) nail polish choice both times).

Overall I think this may have been the dullest Oscar fashion parade ever.  Though these red-carpet pics don't really do it justice, I think Scarlett Johansson's dress was my favorite.  It read a lot better on stage to me.

What I didn't love was her "natural touseled" hair.  I don't know, I think I'm as over the messy hair with fancy dress as I am the dowdy high-necked, sequined 80's sheaths being sported by all of these young actresses.  Case in point, Michelle Williams, who's hair and make-up was beautiful, but the dress?  Big blah.  She'd look awesome in Scarlett's dress, in my opinion.

Maybe I'm  just a  woman who likes contrast.  I like simplicity, but if you're going high-necked give me something sexy, like a mini, or at least something actually vintage.  And that's all I'll say, since I know full-well that no one gives a damn what a 30-something semi-farm living Albuquerque dweller has to say on the subject.

Did you have a favorite?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you on this year's show and fashions. Just... blah. I felt like so many dresses looked like other things those women had worn before. Scarlett's I could have loved, with some tweaking, but it didn't quite get there for me... and the hair and makeup were a disaster. I did like Michelle Williams. Did you see little Hailee Steinfeld, epitomizing age-appropriate Oscar-ness? That girl amazes me... still can't get over her performance.

    ReplyDelete